ARTIST EXHIBIT PROPOSALS for
Sissiboo Coffee Bar and Gallery
Bear River and Annapolis Royal, February 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
Deadline: Oct 31, 2021
Sissiboo Coffee Bar and Gallery is seeking exhibit proposals from individual artists living in the SouthWest NS region for our cafes located in Bear River and Annapolis Royal.
Sissiboo Coffee Roaster is committed to roasting fairly traded and organic beans, and offering exceptional espresso and more from two inspiring, atmospheric cafes, both located in communities that appreciate and offer support of the arts. Sissiboo Coffee Roaster understands the components of a good life: community, art, music, conversation, and of course good coffee. We are dedicated to the presentation, development, and promotion of art in all media that is innovative and reflects current contemporary art forms and issues.
If this resonates with you, we want to see your submission!
A committee of local artists and the owners of Sissiboo Coffee will select the artworks to be shown for the following year within a month of the annual deadline.
Please email your proposal application and images via
email/zipped files/dropbox or similar to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE use subject line: Exhibit Proposal
Please note: If you work in a variety of mediums and approaches, please feel free to submit two separate proposals; i.e. collage and realism, photography and printmaking, etc.
We suggest that the majority of pieces for sale are between the price range of $200 – $1000, of course some pieces can be of a higher or lower price. Each show can contain some “Not For Sale” pieces.
- 7 – 10 images
- image list including the name, title of work, medium, dimensions, date of completion and prices
- current bio and/or artist statement with contact information
- concise exhibit proposal
- any consideration regarding dates that the committee should be aware of
REQUIREMENTS FOR EXHIBITING ARTISTS:
- artists are encouraged to commit to 6 weeks at the Bear River location, followed directly by 6 weeks at the Annapolis Royal location
- all art must be ready for display with appropriate hanging apparatus (the cafés have hanging systems with “S” hooks that easily adjust for different heights so that nails are not placed in the walls; there are limited shelves and plinths for 3-D work in the Annapolis Royal location only).
- artists must be present to help install their exhibition (assistance will be provided by Erin Welch)
- artists must supply a full list of sale prices for art (majority of the art must be for sale, with only limited “not for sale”) and indicate whether taxes are to be added or not.
- artists must agree to provide 30% of sales to Sissiboo Coffee Roaster. (Gallery will collect sales and calculate).
- artists must provide their own labels and either create a digital poster OR provide text and visuals for in-house poster creation.
- exhibit openings are not mandatory but are warmly encouraged. Openings must be scheduled during open hours of the cafés and the artist is encouraged to manage the publicity (Facebook, email, etc.)
- artists are encouraged to provide guest/comment books and business cards.
- artists are invited, but not required, to provide an additional art work if another is sold and removed from the exhibit.
SISSIBOO COFFEE ROASTER WILL:
- provide a floor plan of both cafés with dimensions.
- provide support to install and publicize the exhibit through the efforts of the selection committee.
- distribute promotional listings to regional agencies such as Annapolis Region Community Arts Council, The Bridgetown Reader, Visual Arts of Nova Scotia, etc.
- collect sales and calculate payment to artist (70% to artist, 30% to Sissiboo Coffee Bar and Gallery), including HST.
- make every effort possible to insure that the exhibited art is well lit, secure, and protected from damage. Please note: we are insured for up to $25,000 for theft and fire, however, we encourage exhibitors to ensure that their work is covered by their own insurance policies.
- notify the artist of any sales and or concerns.